In my spare time I try and help to maintain the open source SimpleNLG realiser project on GitHub.
- Simon Mille, Kaustubh D. Dhole, Saad Mahamood, Laura Perez-Beltrachini, Varun Gangal, Mihir Kale, Emiel van Miltenburg and Sebastian Gehrmann (2021). Automatic Construction of Evaluation Suites for Natural Language Generation Datasets. To appear at the thirty-fifth Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS 2021). December 2021 — (PDF)
- Emiel van Miltenberg, Miruna Clinciu, Ondrej Dusek, Dimitra Gkatzia, Stephanie Inglis, Leo Leppänen, Saad Mahamood, Emma Manning, Stephanie Schoch, Craig Thompson and Luou Wen (2021). Underreporting of errors in NLG output, and what to do about it. Proceedings of the 14th International Natural Language Generation Conference (INLG 2021). Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom . September 2021 — (PDF) [Commendation for Outstanding Position Paper]
- Saad Mahamood (2021). Reproducing a Comparison of Hedged and Non-hedged NLG Texts. Proceedings of the 14th International Natural Language Generation Conference (INLG 2021). Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom . September 2021 — (PDF)
- Sebastian Gehrmann, Tosin Adewumi, Karmanya Aggarwal, Pawan Sasanka Ammanamanchi, Aremu Anuoluwapo, Antoine Bosselut, Khyathi Raghavi Chandu, Miruna Clinciu, Dipanjan Das, Kaustubh D. Dhole, Wanyu Du, Esin Durmus, Ondrej Dušek, Chris Emezue, Varun Gangal, Cristina Garbacea, Tatsunori Hashimoto, Yufang Hou, Yacine Jernite, Harsh Jhamtani, Yangfeng Ji, Shailza Jolly, Dhruv Kumar, Faisal Ladhak, Aman Madaan, Mounica Maddela, Khyati Mahajan, Saad Mahamood, Bodhisattwa Prasad Majumder, Pedro Henrique Martins, Angelina McMillan-Major, Simon Mille, Emiel van Miltenburg, Moin Nadeem, Shashi Narayan, Vitaly Nikolaev, Rubungo Andre Niyongabo, Salomey Osei, Ankur Parikh, Laura Perez-Beltrachini, Niranjan Ramesh Rao, Vikas Raunak, Juan Diego Rodriguez, Sashank Santhanam, João Sedoc, Thibault Sellam, Samira Shaikh, Anastasia Shimorina, Marco Antonio Sobrevilla Cabezudo, Hendrik Strobelt, Nishant Subramani, Wei Xu, Diyi Yang, Akhila Yerukola, Jiawei Zhou (2021). The 💎 GEM Benchmark: Natural Language Generation, its Evaluation and Metrics (GEM 2021). Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Natural Language Generation, Evaluation, and Metrics August 2021 — (PDF)
- Miruna Clinciu, Dimitra Gkatzia, and Saad Mahamood (2021). It’s Commonsense, isn’t it? Demystifying Human Evaluations in Commonsense-Enhanced NLG Systems. Proceedings of the Workshop on Human Evaluation of NLP systems (HumEval) at the 16th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL). Kyiv, Ukraine . April 2021 — (PDF)
- David M. Howcroft, Anya Belz, Miruna-Adriana Clinciu, Dimitra Gkatzia, Sadid A. Hasan, Saad Mahamood, Simon Mille, Emiel van Miltenburg, Sashank Santhanam, Verena Rieser (2020). Twenty Years of Confusion in Human Evaluation: NLG Needs Evaluation Sheets and Standardised Definitions. Proceedings of the 13th International Natural Language Generation Conference (INLG 2020). Dublin, Ireland . December 2020 — (PDF)
- Saad Mahamood and Maciej Zembrzuski (2019). Hotel Scribe: Generating High Variation Hotel Descriptions. Proceedings of the 12th International Natural Language Generation Conference (INLG 2019). Tokyo, Japan . October 2019 — (PDF)
- Saad Mahamood (2019). Explainable Artificial Intelligence and its potential within Industry. Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Interactive Natural Language Technology for Explainable Artificial Intelligence (NL4XAI 2019). Tokyo, Japan . October 2019 — (PDF)
- Dimitra Gkatzia and Saad Mahamood (2015). A Snapshot of NLG Evaluation Practices 2005 - 2014. Proceedings of the 15th European Workshop on Natural Language Generation (ENLG 2015). Brighton, United Kingdom . September 2015 — (PDF)
- Saad Mahamood, William Bradshaw, and Ehud Reiter (2014). Generating Annotated Graphs using the NLG Pipeline Architecture. Proceedings of the 8th International Natural Language Generation Conference (INLG 2014). Philadelphia, PA, USA . June 2014 — (PDF)
- Saad Mahamood and Ehud Reiter (2012). Working with Clinicians to Improve a Patient-Information NLG system. Proceedings of the 7th International Natural Language Generation Conference (INLG 2012). Starved Rock, Utica, IL, USA . May 2012 Pages 100-104. ISBN 978-1-937284-23-7 — (PDF)
- Saad Mahamood and Ehud Reiter (2011). Generating Affective Natural Language for Parents of Neonatal Infants. Proceedings of the 13th European Workshop on Natural Language Generation (ENLG 2011). Nancy, France . September, 2011 — (PDF)
- Wendy Moncur, Saad Mahamood, Ehud Reiter, Yvonne Freer (2009). Involving healthcare consumers in knowledge acquisition for virtual healthcare. Virtual Healthcare Interaction 2009 (AAAI Fall Symposium Series). Arlington, Virgina, USA . November, 2009 — (PDF)
- Albert Gatt, François Portet, Ehud Reiter, Jim Hunter, Saad Mahamood, Wendy Moncur, Somayajulu Sripada (2009). From Data to Text in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit: Using NLG Technology for Decision Support and Information Management. AI Communications, IOS Press.
- Saad Mahamood, Ehud Reiter, Chris Mellish (2008). Neonatal Intensive Care Information for Parents — An Affective Approach. Proceedings of the Twenty-First IEEE International Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems (CBMS 2008). Jyväskylä, Finland . June, 2008. Editors: Seppo Puuronen, Mykola Pechenizkiy, Alexey Tsymbal, and Dah-Jye Lee. ISSN: 1063-7125 — (PDF)
- Saad Mahamood, Ehud Reiter, Chris Mellish (2007). A Comparison of Hedged and Non-hedged NLG Texts. Proceedings of the 11th European Workshop on Natural Language Generation (ENLG 2007). Schloss Dagstul, Germany . June 2007. Editor: Stephan Busemann. ISSN: 0946-0098 — (PDF)
- NLG and Evaluation: An overview of current challenges — Presented at the NLP Seminar Talk Series at DCU. 25th of April 2022 — (PDF)
- Explainable Artificial Intelligence and its potential within Industry — Keynote speech presented at the 1st Workshop on Interactive Natural Language Technology for Explainable Artificial Intelligence (NL4XAI2019). 29th of October 2019. Tokyo, Japan — (PDF)
- Introduction to Natural Language Generation and its role in trivago — Presented at Düsseldorf Data Science Meetup. 15th of October, 2019. Düsseldorf, Germany .
- Natural Language Generation: Introduction and use at trivago — Presented at trivago Tech Together 2019 conference. 19th of March, 2019. Düsseldorf, Germany .
- Method and apparatus for document planning — Saad Mahamood (2014), US20160232152A1
trivago Tech Blog — Improving Evaluation Practices in Natural Language Generation (March, 2022) [Archive Link]
- BBC News Online — Parents of premature or ill babies needed for study [Archive Link]
- STV News — Online updates scheme for neonatal babies
- The Scotsman — Baby Talk offers help to parents
- The Press and Journal — New system to ease neonatal stress
My past research work at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland involved the BabyTalk-Family (BT-Family) project. This used Natural Language Generation (NLG) technology to convert large sets of clinical neonatal patient data into automatic daily summaries for parents of babies in neonatal intensive care (NICU). This was done by using artificial intelligence and natural language technology to automatically analyse and summarise the information in a baby’s electronic patient record to produce reports focusing on matters of most interest to the parent. This work was based off a prototype that I developed during my PhD. BabyTalk-Family was successfully deployed and used by parents at the neonatal unit in Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh hospital during the research period.
- PhD in Computing Science — University of Aberdeen (2010).
Thesis Title: “Generating Affective Natural Language for Parents of Neonatal Infants”.
Supervisors: Prof. Ehud Reiter and Prof. Chris Mellish.
- MSc in Intelligent Systems — University of Sussex (2006).
Thesis Title: “Automatically extracting spatially-referenced information from the web”.
- BSc in Computing Science — Aberystwyth University (2005).
Dr. Saad Mahamood